Sapa (or Chapa- the “sandy place”), located in Lao Cai province, in northwest Vietnam. This destination is at about 1,600 meters above the sea level and lies a few kilometers south of Vietnam-China’s border.
Sapa must be one of the most favorite destinations of those who love moving currently. It attracts a lot of tourists throughout the year with its natural gifted beauty.
Then let’s check out some interesting facts about this clouds city, peaceful but fantastic.
1. The roof of Indochina – Fansipan peak(3,143m), is 4km far from Sapa town’s center – locates in the southwest part of Sapa Town. Many climbers want to win the top of Fansipan mountain. Tourists can see the Fansipan peak from the Sapa town.
2. Sapa’s population is only less than 10,000 people but is annually visited by over 200,000 tourists
3. The Sapa district is where the ethnic groups live. Meanwhile, the majority of the town’s population is ethnic Vietnamese living nearby villages around Sapa only surface to the towns to sell or buy products.
4. In Sapa, you have to get minority ethnic people’s permission to take pictures with them.
5. Teenagers in Sapa love to learn English and can talk in English even better than in Vietnamese
6. Terraced fields in Sapa are ranked to be the most beautiful terraced fields in the world by an American magazine: Travel and Leisure. Terraced fields in Sapa is also voted to be one of the 30 most beautiful destinations in the world.
7. The highest mountain pass in Vietnam – Tram Ton pass locates between Lao Cai and Lai Chau, it is 2000m high.
8. O Quy Ho pass is one of the 4 greatest passes in NorthWest Vietnam. 50km long from Sapa to Lai Chau. Goes through the National Park Hoang Lien Son.
9. Lao Chai, Ta Van, and Ta Phin are the most favorite walking trails in Sapa.
10. Muong Hoa valley in Sapa is a national vestige – which has 196 carvings with strange patterns of ancient people in ten-thousands years ago which archaeologists still couldn’t explain.
11. There is an old stone church which was built in 1930 in the center of Sapa. People shouldn’t miss the chance to visit this special place when traveling to Sapa
12. Sapa is called “The Kingdom of fruits and flowers” – especially orchids, there are a lot of different colors and shapes to choose. There are also immortal flowers which live forever.
13. There is a mysterious ancient rock in Sapa.
14. There are several kinds of flowers which bloom in all 4 seasons in the year.
15. Sapa is covered by fog all time of the year. You rarely could see the blue sky here. It like a hanging garden hiding in the clouds and fog.
16. You can feel the climate of 4 seasons in one day in Sapa. Morning – spring. Noon – summer, not really summer but it’s sunny and cloudless. Afternoon – fall. Evening – winter, around 12oC -15oC. The average temperature of the area is always 15-18°C, with a maximum of 29.4°C and a minimum of 1°C.
17. Sapa is the only place in Vietnam which has snow. Tourists loving snow always tend to travel Sapa, the foremost choice.
18. Cat Cat hamlet in Sapa is the most beautiful mountain hamlet in Vietnam. Where the Hmong people live.
19. The Fansipan cable car system in Sapa reaches 2 Guinness records. “The longest three-wired cable car system in the world –6.292,5m” and “ The three-wired cable which has the biggest difference between the beginning and the ending 1.410m”. Each cabin accommodates 30 – 35 people. The adult ticket price is 600,000 VND, the price for children from 1 to 1.3 m high is 400,000 VND. Children under 1m tall will be offered a free fare.
20. Sapa officially presented on the National tourist map in 1993 when all challenges were cleared to welcome international tourists.
If you are considering to pay a visit to Sapa, the best time to witness the scenic beauty of this clouds city is in April and May so that you can avoid the cold and foggy weather in the previous period; and the rainy season in the following period.