Yet another Saigon apartment catches fire; overheated portable charger to blame

Yet another Saigon apartment catches fire; overheated portable charger to blame

Residents rush to safety after the fire breaks out on the eighth floor of the PARC Spring Apartment Complex in District 2, Ho Chi Minh City on April 1, 2018. Photo: Tuoi Tre

A power bank having been plugged in for charge for several days overheated and sparked a fire at an apartment in Ho Chi Minh City on Sunday, less than ten days after a blaze that killed 13 condo tenants in the same metropolis.

The apartment on the eighth floor of Block A at the PARC Spring Apartment Complex in District 2 caught fire at around 5:50 pm, sending people to escape the building in panic.

Firefighters were quick to arrive at the site and the fire was put out about 30 minutes later.

A witness named Nguyen Dinh Uy said residents had been warned by the fire alarm before noticing the smoke coming out from the eighth floor, and had to rush downstairs for their own safety.

A representative of the District 2 fire unit told Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper on Monday morning that the blaze was started by an overheated power bank.

The owner of the apartment had left the portable charger plugged in for several days. It caught fire and spread to a pile of books, a laptop, and eventually the mattress.

The flame caused damage to some property inside the apartment.

There was no casualty as all member of the family were not at home at the time of incident.

The PARC Spring Apartment Complex, developed by CapitaLand, was put into operation in 2011.

Managers of the venue and local firefighting police unit examined the fire safety system on Friday last week. A meeting was also held on Saturday to raise awareness on fire safety for tenants.

The PARC Spring fire occurred just nine days after an inferno killed 13 people at the Carina Plaza Apartment Complex in District 8.

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get the latest news about Vietnam!

tuoitrenews Society